PRAWN AND CORN CHOWDER
This recipe for Prawn and Corn Chowder cooks in next to no time. Finished with crispy bacon pieces and served with buttered Nomad Breads Garlic Turkish toast it makes a fancy feast to impress your family and friends.
- 1 loaf Nomad Breads Garlic Turkish
- 3 bacon rashers, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- 2 medium sized potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
- 2 litres chicken stock
- 3 fresh corncobs, kernels removed
- 400g can creamed corn
- ¼ cup thickened cream
- 600g raw prawn meat
- Heat a non-stick fry pan over medium and fry the bacon pieces until crispy. Remove the bacon pieces from the pan and drain on paper towel.
- In a large saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook for a minute or two until soft. Add the cubed potato to the saucepan followed by the stock and turn down to a simmer.
- After the soup has been simmering for 10 -15 minutes and the potato is almost cooked through, add the corn kernels and cook until tender (around 5 minutes).
- Meanwhile, slice your Turkish bread into 6 pieces and cut each piece in half. Toast the Turkish bread pieces under the grill on the cut side only. Remove the bread from the grill, spread with butter and set aside.
- Stir in the creamed corn and the thickened cream and warm through. Finally, add the raw prawn meat and cook until pink.
- Ladle the soup into six bowls and sprinkle over the crispy bacon pieces.
- Serve with the buttered Nomad Breads Garlic Turkish toast.
Choose a waxy potato such as a Dutch Cream, Nadine or Nicola as they hold their shape better in soups and chowders.