PEA AND HAM SOUP
Crispy golden croutons of Nomad Breads Garlic Turkish make a tasty addition to this traditional Pea and Ham Soup recipe.
Pea and Ham Soup
- ½ loaf Nomad Breads Garlic Turkish, chopped into large sized croutons
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 500g dried split peas
- 500g ham hock
- 2 rashers bacon
- salt and pepper
- thyme leaves to garnish
- In a large saucepan heat one tablespoon of the olive oil over low heat and sauté the onion until soft.
- Add the split peas and ham hock to the saucepan along with enough water to cover all the ingredients. Cover the soup and cook over a low heat for around two hours until the peas have completely fallen apart. Check on the soup every now and then to ensure the water has not evaporated too much.
- Meanwhile chop your bacon into small pieces and fry in a non-stick pan before draining on paper towel.
- Wipe your fry pan clean and heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Add your croutons to the pan and toss them around until toasted and golden. Remove the croutons from the pan and set aside.
- Remove the ham hock from your soup and shred any meat that is remains on the bone. Add the meat to the soup and discard the bone.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and top with a sprinkle of the fried bacon, thyme leaves and the croutons.
(Visited 297 times, 1 visits today)