MACARONI AND CHEESE
Macaroni and Cheese is loved by kids and adults like. Here we have used leftover Nomad Breads Turkish to make breadcrumbs for a super crunchy bake in the oven topping.
Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 x 500g packet elbow pasta
- 125g unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons plain flour
- 4 cups milk
- ¾ cup cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 ½ tablespoons mustard powder
- 500g coarsely grated cheddar cheese
- 75 g grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for baking dish
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs made using Nomad Breads Turkish
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- First make the Breadcrumb Topping. Heat the butter and oil in a fry pan over medium heat. Add the breadcrumbs and garlic and cook, stirring, until the breadcrumbs are golden brown. Transfer the mix to a bowl and stir in the Parmesan and salt. Set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Add the butter to a Dutch oven or a large, heavy-based pot and melt over a medium heat until foaming.
- Make a roux: Sprinkle the flour over the butter and whisk to incorporate. Then, using a wooden spoon, cook the flour and butter stirring constantly until the roux is light golden. This should take a few minutes.
- Gradually pour in the milk and cream, using the whisk again to prevent any lumps.
- Turn up the heat to medium-high and bring the sauce to a low boil, whisking constantly. Then reduce to a simmer, whisking occasionally, and cook until the sauce is thick and coats the back of a spoon, about 3 minutes more.
- Add the salt, white pepper and mustard powder to the sauce and combine. Then add the cheeses, a handful at a time, whisking until each addition is completely melted before adding more. Remove from heat.
- Add the drained macaroni to the pot with the cheese sauce and stir well to coat.
- Transfer the macaroni mixture to a buttered baking dish.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumb topping evenly over the macaroni and bake until golden, around 20 – 25 minutes. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving.
(Visited 172 times, 1 visits today)